When I was in elementary (4th grade), I joined my first ever Spelling Bee contest. The word I misspelled and had gotten it wrong a couple of times was, "rendezvous". I always got confused as to whether Z comes first or the S. I didn't get it right again when I was in 6th grade, but thank heavens, I still got the 1st Place!
The other words that I've misspelled several times were, "coup d'état" and "meringue". I got confused because they're not pronounced by how they're spelled. Silent letters can definitely mess with your brain pretty good and not to mention, the pronunciation. [hehe] If I didn't get the words "facade" and "chauffeur" correctly spelled at that competition in high school (2nd year/Sophomore), I probably wouldn't have gotten the first place. If I'm not mistaken, there were 3 rounds and I placed 2nd on the second round. And I remember vividly the word I didn't spell right at the time - - it was, "sheriff".
1 Sweet Thought☆
french words are hard, because they are rarely pronounced how they are spelled. but i LOVE the french language, which is why i take extra care in learning those tricky words growing up :)
Leave Some Sweet Thoughts
© My WorLd's A Charm